Help us, help people organise.
At Orbitkey, Design, innovation, and our customers are always at the forefront of what we do. We’re a young lifestyle accessories brand based in Melbourne, Australia with a mission to help people be organised. We are passionate about making progress, pursuing excellence in quality, not quantity.
As a Product Design Engineer, you’ll work closely with our design team to develop ideas (soft and hard goods), and bring them into production. You’ll help us refine our systems and processes, especially in the area of quality and engineering. You’ll be working closely with our internal team and our manufacturing partners, to create high-quality products, whilst still maintaining affordability and original design intent. Certainly not an easy task!
Tasks you’ll be responsible for:
- Bringing concepts to reality through 3D modelling, prototyping, model making and collaboration with our manufacturers. This includes our main products, POS displays, packaging and trade show booths.
- Maintaining and looking after BOM / manufacturing / quality / costing specifications to ensure that everything is up to date.
- To create and implement quality standards across our product range, and ensuring that the quality of our products is maintained at the highest standards possible.
- Be the point of communication between us and our manufacturing partners through emails, instant messaging and conference calls.
- Reviewing production samples, documenting it in a clear manner and also updating the team on the progress.
- Working closely with our manufacturing partners to tackle manufacturing challenges to achieve the desired outcome according to the agreed timeline.
- When the time allows, you’ll have the opportunity to visit our offshore manufacturing partners and review the production progress.
Who we’re looking for:
- 4 years++ experience in the soft and hard goods industry.
- Software: Solidworks, Photoshop, Illustrator, MS Excel.
- Detail orientated, proactive thinker, and capable of handling multiple projects under high pressure.
- Bonus point if you speak Mandarin.
- Passion, enthusiasm and a keen eye for detail are a must, but most importantly, you must be an excellent communicator. You apply empathy, and open ears when communicating with the suppliers/team members.
- You’re passionate about progress. You’re always looking for a better way to do and make things. You always seek to push the boundaries and are always up for a challenge.
- You’re a great team player. When it comes to working in a team, you know what your roles involve, but you’re willing to go beyond the job description to help other team members to work towards the company’s goal and mission.
How to Apply:
If you think you may be the one, all you need to do is send through your CV, portfolio and a cover letter including the answers to the following Qs to email@example.com
- Our manufacturer has informed us that the way that we’ve designed our products has led the cost of goods to be higher than target. They offer another alternative, but it will greatly affect the appearance of the product. What would you do?
- We’ve just heard from our network that there is a new manufacturing method we could be benefiting from, but we have no knowledge in this process. How would you approach this?
- Please tell us some great brands you admire from a product design/manufacturing perspective.