At Orbitkey, Design, innovation, and our customers are always at the forefront of what we do. We’re a young team of creators, and product-design brand based in Melbourne, Australia with a mission to help people be organised.
It started in 2013, when a side project launched on Kickstarter grew into something bigger than what we thought possible. We’re looking for a highly motivated Product Design Engineer to join our passionate and fast-growing team.Together with our design team, you’ll bring innovative ideas into the hands of our community. Passion, enthusiasm and a keen eye for detail are a must, but most importantly, you must be a great team player and an excellent communicator.
As a Product Design Engineer, you’ll be responsible for developing new ideas (soft and hard goods), and bringing them into production. You’ll be working closely with our internal team and our manufacturing partners, to create high-quality products, whilst still maintaining affordability and original design intent. Certainly not an easy task!
- Bringing concepts to reality through 3D modelling, prototyping, model making and collaboration with our suppliers. Includes our main products, POS displays, packaging and tradeshow booths.
- You will be working on 2D drawing specifications to help us communicate the design details to our suppliers.
- You’ll be working on streamlining our new and current lines of products, to ensure that every aspect of our designs has been manufactured with the best possible method.
- Be the point of communication between us and our manufacturing partners through emails, instant messaging and conference calls. This includes reviewing the samples from them, documenting it in a clear manner and also updating the design team on the progress.
- You’ll be responsible for the quality management of our product range, working with our suppliers to maintain and continually improve it.
- You’ll have the opportunity to visit our manufacturing partners and review the production progress.
- Researching new materials and new manufacturing processes that are most suitable to achieve the original design intent.
- Working closely with our China Operations team to ensure that the quality of our products is maintained at the highest standards possible.
- You’ll be managing the manufacturing partners and working together with them to tackle manufacturing challenges to achieve the desired outcome according to the agreed timeline.
Who we’re looking for:
- 2 years++ experience in soft and hard goods industry.
- Software: Solidworks, Photoshop, Illustrator, MS Excel.
- Detail orientated, proactive thinker, and capable of handling multiple projects under high pressure.
- You have experience in creating a specification for manufacturing purposes (complete with tolerances and detailed BOM).
- You’re passionate about progress. You’re always looking for a better way to do and make things. You always seek to push the boundaries and are always up for a challenge.
- You have great communication skills. You apply empathy, and open ears when communicating with the suppliers/team members. You are always looking for the best way to deliver your message clearly and in the most effective manner.
- You’re a great team player. When it comes to working in a team, you know what your roles involve, but you’re willing to go beyond the job description to help other team members to work towards the company’s goal and mission.
- If you happen to speak Mandarin, that’s a huge bonus!
How to Apply:
Almost there! Have a look at our website and our catalogue to get a feel of what we do. If you think you may be the one, all you need to do is send through your CV, alongside a cover letter including the answers to the following Qs.
- We’ve just heard from our network that there is a new manufacturing method we could be benefiting from, but we have no knowledge in this process. How would you approach this?
- Our manufacturer has informed us that the way that we’ve engineered our products will cost twice as much. They offer another alternative, but it will greatly affect the appearance of the product. What would you do?
- Please tell us some great brands you admire from product design/manufacturing perspective.
It started in 2013, when we had a simple idea to solve the frustration we had with our messy and noisy keys. Soon after our project launched on Kickstarter, it grew into something bigger than what we thought possible.
We’re a team of creators based in Melbourne, Australia with a mission to help people be organised – beyond keys. We create products to help you live your life in the moment, and on purpose.
At Orbitkey, Design, innovation, and our customers are always at the forefront of what we do. We’re all here to do great work. Hopefully, the best work of our lives. And we are not afraid to put in the hard work, as a team, to achieve that.
If you love challenge, learning, problem-solving and working in a collaborative environment, you’ll fit right in.